Friday 30 October 2009

Preparing my hybrid feast for the weekend!



If people still do not understand the existence of hybridity at the social level, I always think that they most live completely isolated from anything that goes around them. I just thought that I could use my practice for this weekend as an example, even as silly as it is. So here it is.

Tomorrow, I'll celebrate with a American-style pumpkin pie (got me pumpkin there, just need the remaining ingredients). I've got some squash to roast and have in a succulent salad (this is an English recipe). On Sunday, will be going to the British Museum to see Moctezuma's exhibition, as well as to participate of the Mexican Day of the Dead celebration that will take place in the museum. There will be Mexican snacks there!

So, how can I explain the hybrid that surfaces from these practices? I'm not in the full mood for complicating this further, but it clearly shows our ability as social creatures to acquire, without much pain, the things that different social practices have to offer to us. I fail to see here the idea that either of the cultures would take over the other ones. I rather experience them as experiences that may take place at different times, and that one can choose from according to our feelings as well as the need to satisfy our sense of belonging and what provides us more pleasure. It is truly a highly complex situation, that in my opinion, cannot be reduced to one or two explanations and analyses.

No comments: