Wednesday 11 March 2009

Mind set: Disconnected

Once again, my usual moaning is becoming (I've got to admit) rather common in me. Is it either the work I'm doing or a combination of stress and confusion in my life?

It has been mentioned in a Mexican newspaper that it's been found, through research on the genetics of the local population, that the majority of the Mexicans are mestizos (by 93%). However, across the newspaper article, it is explained that down south (Campeche, for example) there is a higher percentage of indigenous population (70-75%). Anyway, I would like to understand the conclusion of the 93%. I've been trying to find the original research article to understand the methodology and the sample subjects. However, i cannot find it. Once i do, I'll report back on it to try to understand if it was comprehensive of the indigenous population, who, to my understanding has extensively avoided mixing so overtly with the mestizos in their communities. As presented in the general conclusion in the newspaper report, they cannot be just 7%, it sounds a bit strange. But, hey, i'm not a geneticist! Probably in the real chromosomal combination the majority (even those who may not be aware of it) are more mestizos than the mole**!

**For those who don't know what mole is, it is not the animal that roams around crops... it is a sauce based on a combination of chilies, seeds & grains, fruits & nuts, and spices such as cocoa or herbs/leaves. In its many variations, the sauce is usually eaten with turkey, chicken, pork, and fish.

No comments: