Tuesday 20 January 2009

Hope Regained: Coming to the U S of A and to the World

Coincidentally, I'll be visiting a city in the US during the first week of Barack Obama's presidency. It is a most welcome coincidence for me, as I would be dreading going there otherwise. This is due for many reasons that are far from binary, but which I will not explain now, because that's not my point.

Hope has been the most used word prior, during, and after the elections. Currently, is a feeling permeating people's lives, or at least the lives of many of us. I'm surprised at how engaged I've been with this, ever since the first time I heard about Barack Obama's candidacy for the democratic post. Probably that was back in 2006 - don't trust me when it comes to measuring time.

What he represents to me is exactly hope. A hope that I've never had in anyone or anything, barely have it in life or in the social. If I was ever hopeful, I must have been a very young toddler then. I'm a cynic, this has brought me troubles in life, thus I've learnt to disguise my self. So having the pleasure of actually experiencing hope as raw as it could ever be, at least so I think now, is incomparable. I don't know what this means, and I don't think I have any expectations, because that would be quite ridiculous. However, the sole sensation of hoping that things will be different to what they are now - seeing change as anything that will be different from what the it has been - is ultimately special to me.

Looking back to when Barack won the elections, I now am aware that it influenced me to change something radically in my life. The hope that inundated me triggered certain kind of madness that I never thought it would happen. Back then in November 2008, I didn't understand the reasons why that change took place. It is actually, at this very moment when I'm writing, that I'm understanding the Barack Obama effect in me. I'm working towards that newness as I speak.

No comments: