Wednesday 7 January 2009

Can anyone explain this?

A colleague of mine has recently come back from Vienna, and shared some of his pics. One of those that caught my attention was this one:



I'm already amazed by the sexist toilet allocation in the UK, where you would have the common indicator of: women and baby changing; or a mini cabin for baby breastfeeding inside of the women's toilets. The latter example has been my latest shock find back in November. I've got to admit that a male friend, who has two babies, told me maybe -sometime earlier last year- that somewhere in the UK he found baby changing facilities in one men's toilet, which was handy for him as he had felt alienated by the social stereotypes.

However, in the case of the photograph shown above, I'm more amused than shocked. I simply do not know what to make of it. Could it be that men are capable of going to the same toilet on their own and women may need a man companion? Or, could it be that the men's toilet in this particular hotel/restaurant, had urinals only and they are 'allowed' to use women's toilet to have a shit?

No comments: